IEEE Mailing Lists Overview
Below is information about IEEE Mailing Lists, including procedures, creation, mailtenance, and owner responsibilities.
- Requesting the establishment of a new mailing list
The system administrator will only set up a new mailing list or discussion group at the request of IEEE staff members or key volunteers. Volunteers who wish to establish a new discussion group or mailing list should contact the staff member who relates most closely to their volunteer activity. The staff member will then obtain the appropriate approval and forward to the system administrator. This form will guide you through the process of requesting a new mailing list or discussion group and will queue your request for processing by the administrator.
E-mail the administrator
- Delete my old mailing list
Submit a request to remove old lists that are inactive.
- Managing a mailing list or discussion group
It is the responsibility of the owner to maintain the list depending on the type of group or list. This means adding/deleting members if subscribing is not permitted, or reviewing/editing messages if moderating is required. In all cases, the owners send the original ASCII text files to the members of the group or list.
top of page
As extracted from the IEEE Electronic Mail Policy:
3.4.2 Every e-mail list must have an owner. The list owner responsibilities include:
- Establishment and communication of distribution rules
- Establishment, communication and enforcement of acceptable use practices (practices may be specific to the list, but must be in compliance with the IEEE Acceptable Use Practices)
- Determining the nature of the list (e.g., moderated, unmoderated, etc.)
- Maintenance of list (including anticipated life cycle and related data)
- Establishment of a list archival policy/practice
3.4.3 Every e-mail list must include an introductory file that is delivered to each new list member at the time of subscription or entry into the list. The file must contain:
- Statement of purpose with full list description
- Subscribe/unsubscribe processes
- Name of responsible entity or functional organization
- IEEE Acceptable Use Practices
- Acceptable use practices (if unique to the list)
- Contact information regarding list issues (there may be one contact for technical issues and one for editorial issues)
Discussion Groups (those where replies are set to automatically go back to the whole group) must be watched extrememely carefully! There are times when messages bounce and the receiving mail-system sends the bounce message back into the list instead of to the list's owner. In such cases, it is of the utmost importance that the list's owner quickly determine which recipient address is causing the problem and remove it as quickly as possible.
top of page